UPDATE – 5-11-2020:
ISLAND OPENING MAY 22nd 2020 / ISLAND USE FORM AVAILABLE ONLINE NOW (members please login to view)
- ExCom approved a Stage 1 proposal for Island Opening & Island Use, see below summary
2020 Boating Season – Covid19 – Streater Cove use requirements and guidelines – Stage 1
- Emergency Legal Requirements prevent use of Docks Bathrooms and Grounds unless everyone present meets State Outdoor Recreation Guidelines for facilities, sanitation and behavior.
- Island closed for use until May 22nd
- Bathrooms Open for limited use with strict guidelines listed below
- ALL MEMBERS MUST ACTIVELY SANITIZE ANY FACILITITES WHEN USED
- Effective social distancing required, following “Outdoor Recreation Guidelines”
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet at all times from others except for members of the same household.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; if soap and water not readily available, use a hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Anyone with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 (including fever, cough, or difficulty breathing) should stay home and not engage in outdoor activities
- Kitchen area of the Pavilion closed
- Playground, and Beach closed
- No tent camping
- Island Use is a personal choice
- Members are expected to uphold these policies as a condition of Island-Use
- These requirements and guidelines may change at any time.
- All members should be familiar with the following Outdoor Recreation Guidelines:
UPDATE – 4-14-2020: ExCom Meeting held April 8th:
- Purchased (2) Zoom licenses to facilitate online communication, meetings, and education.
- Waived Advanced Grade education requirement for Island Use for the 2020 boating season, impacting 2018 & 2019 new members (e.g. Boat Handling/Seamanship).
- Waived 2020 Merit Mark requirement for 2021 Island Use given opportunities to earn a merit mark will be limited this year.
- Will keep island closed until State and Federal restrictions are lifted. Power has been turned off at the back docks, and signage added to not use the property.
- Exploring timing/availability to process Island Use Forms electronically on our website through Ecommerce.
- Tentatively planning to have the Island Opened on May 23rd, traditional Island Open/Clean-Up group opportunity has been cancelled for 2020.
- Will review and update Island Policies to conform with Federal, State and Local regulations as needed (i.e. food prep areas, restrooms, cleaning protocols, social distancing, etc).
Since 1961, the Minnetonka Squadron has volunteered in the communities around Lake Minnetonka because we want to make our local waters safe and enjoyable, and because we care about our neighbors and the neighborhoods we live in.
In keeping with our mission, we are taking immediate steps to comply with all federal, state and local guidelines to reduce the impact from this global health crisis. Our goal is to protect the health and safety of our members, our neighbors, and our families.
We want to share a high-level summary of our current plan so that you can adjust accordingly. We are all in this together and we will need to be flexible, patient and adaptable. When in doubt on the best course of action, we are going to choose a conservative approach and err on the side of caution.
There are a number of events coming up that will be impacted by both facility closures and the CDC guidelines restricting group gatherings. In the short term, here are the events that have been cancelled or postponed:
- The April 16th General Membership Meeting has been cancelled.
- The April First Friday has been cancelled.
- The April ExCom meeting was moved to an online format.
- The April 18th Fitting Out Party is cancelled and will be held later in the year if possible.
- The May First Friday has been cancelled.
- The May ExCom meeting will move to an online format.
- The May 16 General Membership Meeting has been cancelled and will be moved to June if possible.
- Island Open (and all Island Use) will be delayed until deemed appropriate to open.
- The ABC3 course has been cancelled and students redirected to online versions.
- The Advanced Piloting Course has been placed “On Hold.”
- The Boat Handling (Seamanship) course has been placed “On Hold.”
- Per National guidelines, all VSCs will be suspended until further notice.
- Island Use Stickers will not be distributed until further notice—please do not mail or process Island Use Forms until we have more clarity from Federal, State and Local officials. The 2020 Island Use Form has been taken down from the website and will be updated in the coming weeks. All current deadline fees will be waived.
Online Education (we are all inside with spring fever so why not take an online course?)
- Courses and
Boating Channel – view all of the YouTube videos: https://americasboatingchannel.com/
- Become a Vessel Safety Examiner! Study the manual and take the exam online: https://www.usps.org/index.php/departments/12000/12900
There is no place we would all rather be right now than hanging out on the lake and the island with our friends. We get it. We just need to make sure we do this the right way, and we will be looking for support and expertise from all of you in the coming weeks and months. These recommendations will evolve and change as we move into the future, and so will our approach. We will update the website as we learn more.
Thank you for your continued support of us and our mission.
~ The Minnetonka Squadron Leadership Team